Deep Survival - Gonzales L.1 - Book
  • Deep Survival - Gonzales L.1 - Book

Deep Survival - Gonzales L.1 - Book

€ 16,19
Binnen 1 - 2 dagen verzonden
When confronted with a life-threatening situation, 90% of people freeze or panic, says Gonzales in this exploration of what makes the remaining 10% stay co
Aantal
Laatste items in voorraad

 

Veilig betalen via SSL verbinding

 

Boeken en DVD's uit voorraad leverbaar

When confronted with a life-threatening situation, 90% of people freeze or panic, says Gonzales in this exploration of what makes the remaining 10% stay cool, focused and alive. Gonzales, who has covered survival stories for National Geographic Explorer, Outside and Men'ss Journal, uncovers the biological and psychological reasons people risk their lives and why some are better at it than others. In the first part of the book, the author talks to dozens of thrill-seekers-mountain climbers, sailors, jet pilots-and they all say the same thing: danger is a great rush. 'sFear can be fun,'s Gonzales writes. 'sIt can make you feel more alive, because it is an integral part of saving your own life.'s Pinpointing why and how those 10% survive is another story. 'sThey are the ones who can perceive their situation clearly they can plan and take correct action,'s Gonzales explains. Survivors, whether they'sre jet pilots landing on the deck of an aircraft carrier or boatbuilders adrift on a raft in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean, share certain traits: training, experience, stoicism and a capacity for their logical neocortex (the brain'ss thinking part) to override the primitive amygdala portion of their brains. Although there'ss no surefire way to become a survivor, Gonzales does share some rules for adventure gleaned from the survivors themselves: stay calm, be decisive and don'st give up. Remembering these rules when crisis strikes may be tough, but Gonzales'ss vivid descriptions of life in the balance will stay with readers. Prologue PART ONE HOW ACCIDENTS HAPPEN 1. 'sLook Out, Here Comes Ray Chartes's 2. Two Memories of the Future 3. A Map of the World 4. A Gorilla in Our Midst 5. The Anatomy of an Act of God 6. The Sand Pite Effect 7. The Rutes of Life 8. Danger Zones PART TWO SURVIVAL 9. Bending the Map 10. Inside The Right Stuff 11. 'sWe'sre All Going to Fuckin's Die!'s 12. A View of Heaven 13. The Sacred Chamber 14. A Certain Nobility 15. The Day of the Fall Appendix: The Rules of Adventure Selected Bibliography Acknowledgments Index Author'ss Note
10538
1 Item