While most books on Aikido are focused on a particular point of view and fairly narrow in scope, this book is quite open in its approach to the teaching of Aikido exercises, the operation of a school and myriad details that many forget. Drawing on experience in the Virginia Ki Society and past martial art studies as well as international associations created through the Internet, the author has woven a rich tapestry of Aikido and related topics which is easy to read and surprisingly easy to comprehend. Sources for observations, suggested approaches, and additional resources are liberally quoted and referenced. While this work clearly reflects the impact of Master Koichi Tohei and Ki Society teachings it also includes information from physies and anatomy and practices from judo and other Aikido systems (such as Aikikai and Yoshinkan) to help the reader to better understand the material.
The author has an easy writing style with a flair for detail which should satisfy even the most discriminating of readers. While the book was written primarily to help people who are new to Aikido, it will be a valuable resource for more senior students and teachers of the art. A fitting adjunct to the author’s first volume, Ki in Aikido.
1. INTRODUCING AIKIDO Some Common Questions and Observations • Getting Started • Some Basic Skills • On Learning • On Teaching
2. A BRIEF KI CLASS Mind • Body • Mind-Body Coordination
3. AIKIDO CLASS Warming and Limbering • Hitori Waza and Other Exercises • Wrist Exercises • Leg Exercises • On Muscles and Pain and Effective Stretching
4. ROLLING,FALLING AND FLYING On Learning to Roll – A Course of Action • Preparation • Back Rolls • Forward Rolls • Breakfalls • Rolling Exercises and Games • Injuries
5. GRABS AND STRIKES Basic Practise • Front Grabs • Back Grabs • Strikes • Other Techniques • Nage and Uke – Partners in the Dance
6. LOCKS & THROWS Ma-ai, Tenkan and Irimi • Clotheslining and Tripping • Katame-Waza • Aikido Throws (Nage Waza)
7. WEAPONS, TOOLS, AND TOYS Weapons • Teaching Tools, and Toys 8. OFF THE MAT, IN REAL LIFE Verbal Self-Defense • Life Etiquette • Gardens • The Timeframe of Violence Resources Glossary Index